Painting (MA)

Paavan Goel

Paavan Goel (b.1999) is a London - based Indian visual artist. In 2021, she recieved her BA in Painting from the College of Fine Arts in Bangalore, India.

Her current research at the Royal College of Art focuses on challenging socio-political control on individual lives while also contesting propagandist narratives, cultural significance, memories, and traditions.

These visionaries reveal traditional interpretations that transcend the constrictions of social frameworks by focusing on an egalitarian society free of gender roles. 

myself painting a green canvas hanging against a  a white studio wall

My artwork draws inspiration from my surroundings, serving as a medium for me to express my views and emotions about them. I delve into concepts such as feminism, customs, and traditions, seeking to explore and challenge societal norms.

In my current artistic practice, I centre my attention on traditions, conventions, and the pursuit of gender equality. I am driven by a desire for a society free from restrictive gender roles, where everyone can thrive.

The colour green holds significant symbolism in my work, representing growth, plants, and fertility. I frequently incorporate these elements into my art, as well as other everyday sights that captivate my interest.

Many of my works are inspired by real-life incidents that have touched the lives of people I know and feel deeply connected to. Through my art, I aim to give voice to their experiences, shedding light on their stories and bringing awareness to their struggles and triumphs.

There is a strong presence of feminine power in my work, which reflects my personal fascination with and exploration of the diverse misogynistic notions surrounding it. Having grown up in a culture that has historically dismissed and undervalued women, I am driven to challenge these narratives and celebrate the strength and resilience of women through my art.

line drawing with sanguine of a girl with both her hands above her head forming a snake against a dark olive green backdrop
Paampu Attam –

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

91x122cm
Line drawing with sanguine of a lady seated on the floor in a traditional indian attire against a shade of agua green colour.
Indistinct

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

91x122cm
Two feet made of wire, covered with colourful threads and tied together with large bells on a brass plate
Tarangam

Medium:

Wire, thread, bells, acrylic and brass plate
Suspension

Medium:

Wire and thread
A lady seated with a saree staring at the viewer with a girl baby on her merging with the green colour of the background
Agyaat

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

60x91cm
A girl in a school dress painted against a viridian green background
Anupastiti

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

40x50cm
lady in bandhani saree missing features and merging with the dark green background
Phantasm

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

60x91cm
three figures, two girls and one boy in the centre standing staring at the viewer
An Egalitarian Approach

Medium:

Acrylic and Charcoal on Canvas

Size:

122x150cm
line drawing of two figures on a seesaw and eyes forming a face against an abstract background
Weighing Down

Medium:

Acrylic and charcoal on canvas

Size:

91x122cm
line drawing of two children jumping against an abstract backdrop
Transcending

Medium:

Acrylic on canvas

Size:

91x122cm