Textiles (MA)

Marie-Therese Dawes

The Scullery - room 7 in the dollHouse with miniature versions of the Dirty linen and Social Fabric series are displayed
Room 7 - The Scullery A room for female ritual, where humour conceals hurt and consolidation is found over a cup of tea, or something stronger. In a traditional female sanctuary, women come together to mend the fraying edges of the social fabric.
miniature newspaper embroidered  text and images on scrap of glass cloth
Re(a)d, Black and Blue (2023)Scream all about it! - The Tarnished Spoon is the only newspaper you will ever need, just rinse and repeat daily. Our bad news headlines are guaranteed for 10 years. stitch on scrap of glass cloth, mixed yarn. 160mm x 60mm x 1mm
mini towel roll embroidered with a series of names in shades of red
Say, Say Oh Playmate (2023)Stitch on linen/cotton mix towel, wooden towel holder and mixed yarn (H) 640mm (W) 60mm(D) 2mm
mini tea towel embroidered with quote I'll show you what a woman can do
Social Fabric (Call to Arms) (2023)part of Dirty Linen stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 71mm(W) 51mm(D) 1mm
42 mini cards 21 women 21 representations of Venus or Aphrodite with quotes on the back
All the Single Ladies re-mix (2023) the mini version All the Single Ladies! (2023) remix and then made miniture for The dollHouse How to Play Shuffle the deck & Switch up the dialogue! For your postconstrualist instincts, there are 28,0000000000,0000000000,0000000000,0000000000,0000000000 possible ways to view this part of the exhibition.
mini cards
All the Single Ladies re-mix (2023) the mini version
a copy of The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker, 		            wrapped in  yarn, containing secrets with its mini version
Enjoy the Silence (2022), mini version (2023) a copy of The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker, wrapped in yarn, containing secrets. yarn (H) 210mm(W) 130mm(D) 20m Next to its mini version 20mm (H) 13mm (W) 4mm (D)
Postcards of images of Venus or Aphrodite
21 A5 Postcards
Postcards of images of contemporary women as  Venus or Aphrodite
All the Single Ladies (2022) 21 A5 Postcards
the back of stitched work Talking with the Man in the Mirror
Talking with the Man in the Mirror (2023)
two stitched figures outlined by colour stars one is stabbed with a needle
Talking with the Man in the Mirror (2023) Design for the wall paper in the WC - stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 710mm(W) 510mm(D) 20m
collage of a seven room doll house
illustration of a bed made of mattresses of bound books and a pea
The Silencing of the Girls – Tales from History (Future) The Silencing of the Girls – Tales from History (Future) a bed, books bound in yarn, and containing secrets - a dried pea
glass cloth with the text Women are thought to have natural manual dextererity that makes them good at sewing but not surgery
Currently on display as part of the Royal Academy Summer Show Quote by Myra MacDonald, stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn

Medium:

stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn

Size:

71cm x 51 cm
word self portrait of the artist embroidered on a dish cloth
(Self) Portrait of a lady part of Dirty Linen stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 71cm(W) 51cm(D) 2cm
work in progress a dishcloth with a reworked la Corbusier
Social Fabric (hierarchy) (2023) There is a Hierarchy...............
glass cloth embroidered with a quote by Adam Curtis
Social Fabric (Time to Reflect) 2023in an age of Individualism what makes people feel secure is having themselves reflected back part of Dirty Linen stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 71cm(W) 51cm(D) 2cm
the reverse of glass cloth embroidered with a quote by Adam Curtis
dish cloth embroidered with Time is Someone else's money in style of sampler
Time is Someone Else’s Money (2023) Time is Someone Else’s Money stitch on cotton- dish cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 400mm(W) 380mm(D) 2mm
glass cloth embroidered with We are All as Jumbled as a box of biscuits
Social Fabric (box of biscuits) (2023) part of Dirty Linen stitch on linen/cotton-blend glass cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 71cm(W) 51cm(D) 2cm
Social Fabric Jumper
Social Fabric (repairing me) (2023) wearable work - a jumper with the words Social Fabric darned on it it
baby muslin with the word displayed on a washing airer
Fury at the City 55p
pile of works displayed as laundry
dish cloth embroidered with Home is where the hurt is in style of sampler
Home is Where the Hurt Is (2023) stitch on cotton- dish cloth, wooden clothes pegs, yarn (H) 400mm(W) 380mm(D) 2mm
page of Sketchbook with picture of Leda
page of the sketch book Virginia Woolf and quote
the red sketchbook and other bound books
Work from the Gallery project - Freedom's Just Another words (2022)
stack of books
stack of books
page of book with quote from Artemisia Gentileschi
page of book with quote from Kate Atkinson

Medium:

sketchbook containing inspirations and future projects

As a textile artist who shares her time between Northumberland and East London, I enjoy the contrast between the man-made and natural world, the echoes between them, and how they shape each other. Like its physical counterpart, the cultural landscape is ever-changing, with the passing of time, things built to last, and those swept away.

Nature is rarely wrong in her eclectic colour palette, and my walks around Royal Docks are a revelation of these hues, the urban wildlife and the waterways contrasted by, and mimicked in, the industrial buildings and gleaming tower blocks. 

I set my work within a gallery context as interacting with my audience is the heart of my process. I see the exhibition of the work as a moment to pause and reflect, that the reception and response are key moments in the creative process, after all, art is a conversation that should never end.

Master Thesis awarded Distinction Reframing Troy: A Mythical Exhibition of Female Virtue (2022) 

Degree Details

School of DesignTextiles (MA)WeaveRCA2023 at Truman Brewery

Truman Brewery, F Block, First and second floors

Picture of the artist in her studio space surrounded by books and textiles

The challenge I set myself for this year was to make the work's physical and cerebral elements as bold, rigorous, and ambitious as possible. The Royal College has taught me to have confidence and I see that challenge expanding before me.  

The dollhouse is a solution to how to move forward from the RCA.

It will travel with me, or rather it is an extension of me – the catalogue is a prototype, it is a curatorial dream, and as such exists beyond time, much as a story does. It is the past, present and future possibilities - a projection into the dream space of what I want my work to be. 

The dollhouse is the overarching theme of my artistic philosophy and, just like a real house, I imagine I will be redecorating and furnishing it for a lifetime.  I will use it as a cultural touchstone through which I will filter my ideas, to continue to explore the realities of the lives of women and the human condition. I see the possibilities to display it in endless different ways, in different contexts, and maybe one day all at once.

My first year at the RCA was spent enclosing books – in some cases cocooning the meaning, in others rendering them shut. The Gallery Context Project confirmed for me that my practice would reach its conclusions – if one ever really reaches a conclusion – in the display.

Alongside this I was working towards my dissertation, I set about curatorially dreaming, and my fantasy exhibition catalogue earned me a distinction.

This Year was an exploration of my own family, the history of feminism, and female artists. I found my voice and became confident of what I wanted to say.  

The Coat's Foundation Trust