Ceramics & Glass (MA)

Jacqui Ramrayka

After completing her Ceramics degree at Harrow in 1994, Jacqui co-founded the studio Archway Ceramics along with a group of fellow graduates. She combined working there with teaching until family commitments created a natural hiatus.

During this time, she continued to teach, establishing after-school clubs for children and mentoring Duke of Edinburgh's Award students.

She has exhibited widely, with recent shows including London Craft Week and Ceramic Art London. 

Her practice is studio based, where she continues researching and developing her work while pursuing other creative opportunities. 

Support

Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust

2021 QEST Britford Bridge Trust Scholar 

woman holing vessel

‘As we looked at her straw bag, filled with balls of wool and an unfinished piece of knitting, and at her blotting pad, her scissors, her thimble, emotion rose up and drowned us. Everyone knows the power of things: life is solidified in them, more immediately present than in any one of its instants.’ 

Simone de Beauvoir, A Very Easy Death

Being at the RCA has enabled me to pause my trajectory and reflect on my practice, allowing space for new ideas to feed back into my work.

Currently, my work is based around exploring ways to articulate notions emerging from my dissertation and the recent death of my father.

My reflections have centred on the themes of memory, grief, and exploring Indo-Caribbean diasporic identity, which, particularly since the Windrush era, has morphed into a hybrid, crafted by different cultures. 

My approach became increasingly intuitive during my first year, allowing the materials to influence the results. The projects were generative processes and a huge catalyst for shoots of ideas which have taken root this year.

This year has been about gathering – remnants, words, experiences. 

I've been investigating using layers to reflect disintegration and renewal, suggesting a tapestry of memories, showing traces of what was there before. 

I'm looking at how objects can embody these concepts and exploring the connections between personal and collective memories; I'm trying to give form to something intangible and using residue and remnants, fractures and erosion, to embody fragments of memories, decay and time.

I'm seeking to create objects that look like they have been found rather than created and looking at disrupting familiar notions of porcelain, pushing the material to its limits, to the point of collapse, distorting it, yet holding onto something familiar.

The distortions, the broken edges and the fractured glazes suggest a narrative. 

What connects the pieces are the qualities of fragility.

‘For me, identity is an ever-evolving culmination of the past, present and desires for the future, but when your people’s history and by extension your own is practically erased, the understanding of one’s identity is inherently limited. This longing to find those missing pieces, is what drives my art.’

Renluka Maharaj (Artist)

porcelain sheet detail
vessel
vessel
vessel detail
vessel
vessel detail
detail of vessel

Medium:

porcelain- thrown & altered with clay & metal additions

Size:

24cm x 16cm, 30cm x 18cm
stack of clay containers
vessel detail
vessel
vessel detail
vessel
vessel
stack of ceramic containers

Medium:

Porcelain- thrown & altered/ Porcelain & Stoneware- press moulded

Size:

various sizes
detail of vessels
erupted vessel
distorted vessel
distorted vessels
vessel detail
vessel detail
vessel detail
vessel with a crawl glaze
vessel with a crawl glaze
vessel detail
vessel detail
vessel

Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust

2021 QEST Britford Bridge Trust Scholar 

https://www.qest.org.uk