Visual Communication (MA)

Edie Medley

Edie Medley is a Freelance Illustrator and Artist based in South East London. She graduated from Manchester School of Art with a first class honours in Illustration with Animation in 2021 where she developed a distinct visual language and an interest in how drawing can be used as a tool to engage, enlighten and initiate conversation. 

Comic documenting the experience of having a Chronic Urinary Tract Infection

My practice is underpinned by a love of drawing and its power to communicate the challenging and complicated in a captivating and accessible way. In my research practice, I use drawing as a way of thinking through information, annotating and highlighting. The drawing is in conversation with the text and weaves around the data and knowledge as a form of intervention, creating a new narrative.

It Burns is an annotated comic documenting my own experience of Chronic Urinary Tract Infection, exploring and discussing the consequences of historic underinvestment into women's health, gender bias in medicine and the healthcare crisis in the UK. Through drawing my experience and sharing helpful resources, I aim to raise awareness of the condition and empower others to talk about their own experience of dismissal and misdiagnosis. It is necessary to open up these conversations and encourage women's voices to be heard as conversation and building community can bring about meaningful change.

'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Page
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
'It Burns' Notes
Drawings of patients in waiting room
Drawings of patients in waiting room
Drawings of patients in waiting room
Sketchbook Page
drawings of Interactions people have had with their doctors
You/Your DoctorDrawing as a method of gathering experiences and information. A collection of interactions women have had with their doctors.